Like they said in the Tasting Table article, this is more like a crusty delicious bread than a soft pizza dough. The pores are larger. There is more air. There is more crunch. This is NOT Pizza Hut dough.
NO KNEAD PIZZA DOUGH (Makes 4 12 inch pizzas)
SUMMARY: You will mix 12-24 hours before hand. I would just go ahead and mix it the day before you use it and not worry about time. 3 hours before you bake the pizza, you will have to be attentive, although minimally.
TOTAL TIME: 15-30 hours depending on resting time (12-24 hours); active time is 30 minutes (whoa...)
- 3 c flour (bread flour is good - high protein content)- 1/4 t instant yeast- 1 1/2 t salt- 1 1/2 c water
1. Mix the dry ingredients in a bowl. Stir in water and mix until combined (may be sticky).
2. Cover with plastic wrap and a towel and put it in a warm spot. The microwave is a good place. Just don't press "on".
3. Allow to rest 12-24 hours.
4. After the "7th day" (resting time) throw the dough out on a floured surface and throw it on itself twice. Cover with wrap and let rest for 15 minutes.
5. After the short dough nap, divide the dough into quarters and shape them into balls.
6. Cover the balls with wrap again and let rise for 2 more hours.
7. Stretch out dough to make pizza! You can make a thick pizza (approximately 10 inches) or a thinner one (12 inches).
Cook it on a hot stone or pan, one that has been heated in the oven at 500 degrees for at least 30 minutes. Line the hot pan with cormeal and slam the dough onto the pan. Dress it up with sauce and/or toppings. Cook for 12 minutes.