TUNA, POTATO, EGG SALAD WITH PICKLED RED ONIONS adapted from Penelope Casas's Tapas (serves 6)
SUMMARY: You will be doing three things at once from the get go: boiling potatoes, boiling eggs, and pickling. You can make the potatoes, egg and pickle the onion ahead of time since this is more about assembling. Rather just make it all ahead of time and let it sit... the longer the flavors marry, the better! ding dong!
WARE: Pots to boil things in, an 8x8 Pyrex or a serving dish with tall edges about that size (64 square inches give or take... chill, it's not like baking!)
TOTAL TIME: 2 hours; active time, 1 hour (1 hr to let the flavors get all cozy)
- 3 medium sized potatoes (russet is good, nothing too waxy)- 6 eggs (rm temp)- 1 can tuna packed in oil, (Spanish please!)about (4 oz)- 1 shallot- 1/4 red onion- 1/2 c rice vinegar- 1/4 c water- 1 T sugar- 1-2 celery ribsvinaigrette- 3 T good olive oil- 1 T rice vinegar- 1/2 T red wine vinegar- 1/4 T salt
1. Place potatoes in a saucepan, cover with water and bring to boil. Boil on med-high for 15 minutes. Turn off heat, cover and let sit for 15 more minutes. Test to see if they are done with a fork. Keep cooking if not. Cool and slice 1/8 - 1/4 inch thick.
2. Meanwhile, place eggs in another saucepan and cover with water. Bring to boil, cover, shut off the heat and let sit for 10-12 minutes. Alternatively, you can use this method that Zucchini and Chocolate posts (I tried it and failed, but that could be just me...I say go for it!) Any how, after boiling said eggs transfer to a dish with cold water and ice cubes floating about. Cool for 10 minutes. Crack on all sides and return to water for another 5 minutes. Peel. Slice.
3. While the above are boiling etc, slice the onion and shallot as thin as possible. In a small glass, mix the 1/2 c vinegar, water, and sugar. Place onions in glass and marinate for 1/2 hr. Drain and reserve juices.
4. Thinly slice celery.
5. Mix the contents for the vinaigrette in a small glass.
6. Open tuna and flake it a bit with your fingers.
7. Assemble! There are no rules expect for some small spoonfuls of vinaigrette's to start in the dish. You will make layers (think lasagna). Potatoes, a pinch of salt, cracked pepper egg, celery, pickled onions, a bit of vinaigrette and a touch of pickling juice, tuna. Over again!
8. After you have assembled, let sit at room temp for an hour. Eat! It is good for leftovers, but seriously: YOU WILL EAT THE ENTIRE THING! Eat with bread to sop up the tuna flavor.