I had to paint the trim in my room black, which takes forever--- well at least 8 hours (or 5 days, depending on who is counting/painting, Andrew). I was literally able to bake no-knead bread from start to finish and whip up a stir fry, all the while literally
No seriously, I had to cook, if only to escape the euphoria of toxic fumes from semi-gloss black paint. JK, jk.
The No-knead bread inspired via Mark Bitman via Jim Lahey will be covered at a later time. For now, something simple: Refrigerator stir fry.
Sifting through my fridge, I was lacking vegetables. While I thought they still looked edible, I decided to fore go the putrid button mushrooms. All I had was old celery, enoki mushrooms, and beautiful purple potatoes that my roommate got for free at some art gallery opening. Oh you blessed crazy artists, always digging up something post-modern.
I am usually opposed to institutionalized fusion food, but when it happens organically (not to be confused with organic) I am appreciative of these happen accidents as they should be. That constraints like not having been to the grocery store in weeks, and living with differed palated people contributed to soft and powerful potatoes off-setting celery. My mother was the one who mentioned that celery went well with beef. If you ever go to an asian market, look for celery with incredibly tine ribs. Shopped small, the of size peas, they are perfect in omelets/stir-frys.
FLANK STEAK, PURPLE POTATO, CELERY, ENOKI MUSHROOM STIR FRY OVER RICE (serves 2-3)
SUMMARY: You can prep, chop, and marinate the steak beforehand (like an hour) and then bring the rice to boil while before frying.
WARE: A wok
TOTAL TIME: 1 hour; Active 40 minutes, non-active 20 minutes
- 3/4 lb flank steak, sliced thinly on the bias
- 2 T sherry
- 2 T soy sauce
- 2 t sugar
- 3 ribs celery, chopped 1/2 cm thick on the bias
- 1/2 large red onion sliced
- 1 pkg enoki mushrooms (a bunch around 2 inches in diameter)
- 1/2 thinly sliced medium potatoe (1/4 cm think)
- 2 T oil
- 1 c rice
1. Mix together steak, sherry, soy sauce, and sugar in a small bowl and set aside. Marinate up to an hour.
2. Start boiling rice. Please follow the rice recipe.
3. Heat wok on high w 1 T oil. When smoking hot, place potatoes down. Fry for 3-4 minutes until they develop a good crust. Flip and continue frying, 3 more minutes. They do not have to get totally soft, but try one and make sure that they are on their way. Once you had more liquid (via sweated vegetables/meat) the potatoes will plump up and absorb all the delicious flavor.
4. Toss in onions and celery and brown 2 minutes.
5. Toss in flank steak and all marinating liquid. This is the tasting stuff. Continue to stir and fry. get it? Stir until meat is almost all brown with a small amount of pink fading away. The onions should be soft, as should be the potatoes. Taste if you're unsure.
6. Throw in enoki and toss. These don't need too much heat or timebecuase they are thin. 2-3 more stir-fryign minutes and you should be done. As shoudl your rice! Enjoy!